Frannie sew along

Let's chat about everything sewing.

Re: Frannie sew along

Postby KathyD » July 13th, 2017, 12:25 pm

Here's pictures of the steps for the sleeves.

First, tuck in the seam allowances so that the sleeves will looks as they will be when finished and worn. Stick a pin in at the shoulder to hold the folded seam allowance in place.

then reach inside of the bodice and grab ahold of the pinned seam allowance and pull it through to the right side so that you can pin around the sleeve.

Here's the seam allowance pulled out and ready to pin around the armhole.

After that you will carry on with stitching as I showed in the previous post.

Hope this helps anyone that is struggling with the sleeves. :)
KathyD

Postby nonie » July 13th, 2017, 1:16 pm

A million thank you's. I did one!! Yes indeed I did one!! :D
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby KathyD » July 13th, 2017, 2:09 pm

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: I knew you could do it!!!

How's the skirt coming along Karen?

I had to really clip around the curved edge of the yoke to get the skirt to fit right.

Kathy
KathyD

Postby Karens Krafts » July 13th, 2017, 4:16 pm

Queen of rip out here. I'm getting pretty fast and good at taking out stitches :rotflo: And yes you really, really have to clip a lot to get those two to match up to sew. Skirt is on, now to sew down the lining inside. Only took me all day to attach a skirt. And Nonie is catching up........I was feeling pretty good about getting ahead of her, about 1/2 as good as I'd feel if I ever got ahead of Kathy. :rotflo: :rotflo: :rotflo: Not really. I understood the frustration since I had been there. If she hadn't of had a birthday she would be ahead of me. It's getting done. Good lesson in diligence.
Karen

Kathy, how many buttons did you use down the back?
Karens Krafts

Postby Karens Krafts » July 14th, 2017, 11:02 am

Getting there. Still need to smock, hem, buttonholes and buttons. Think those will have to wait until I return after the 22nd.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w309 ... 3439_1.jpg
Karens Krafts

Postby KathyD » July 14th, 2017, 11:55 am

Looks great Karen! I love that fabric!!! I only did 2 buttonholes on the back - there's not room for much more than that.

Have a wonderful trip!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby makettlenh » July 14th, 2017, 4:42 pm

Karen I love your version. Just took pictures of mine and waiting for it to load so I can post my pictures. It was easier than I thought, I had put it off for a while! I did not smock mine as I am donating it through our sewing club. They do charity sewing for Luke Air Force Base and the airmen's families get the clothes for free. No officers only enlisted airmen. They generally do pillowcase dresses and I have been working towards changing that and next week we are doing a workshop! Barbara O'Brien donated a bunch of patterns to the club and we will trace the patterns on Tuesday and Thursday show the folks (yes we have men!!) what we have and they can use them!

ok hope this works

the piping really is even around the neck! hubby was holding hanger outside for me as I haven't found a place inside yet to take good pictures! Big closet in spare bedroom is all mirrors!

Here is a link to all the pictures

http://s146.photobucket.com/user/makett ... t=3&page=1
makettlenh

Postby KathyD » July 14th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Looks great Charlotte!!! Finding the right spot for pictures is such a challenge!!! I think it's wonderful that you're making dresses to donate. Some little girl will be thrilled!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby alina » July 18th, 2017, 3:36 am

Nice seeing how everyone's doing.

I have been remiss (too many engagements and travel), but have been working in small bits: I decided that unpiped collar is too sad-looking, so had to recut and re-insert the collar -- much better now; prepared the rest of piping and finished smocking. Today will try to finish the yoke and hopefully pipe the pockets -- I want to attach the pockets before sewing side seams.

This is a nice pattern and I hope it becomes more available; I I only have a tracing in size 4 and would have liked to make it also in a larger size. Oh well...
alina

Postby nonie » July 21st, 2017, 10:24 am

I wish I had my dress done but sadly it is not and I am not even smocking it. Every time, I put something together I have made a mistake, mostly sewing on the wrong side. so for now, I am taking a break!! this is the way my sewing has been going the last few tries :strut: :strut:
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Karens Krafts » July 22nd, 2017, 1:21 pm

Oh Nonie, I'm so glad I'm not the only one not finished with my dress. The hem is pinned in, the pleating done, pattern decided and carried with me here to Oregon, but not one stitch has been done here. I keep telling myself I'll get it done as soon as I get home. We'll see how that goes. And I don't think Alina's is done either.
Alina, how is yours coming? I sure wish you'd stop by the Coffeehouse and let us get to know you a bit better. I know you're not in the US, but am unclear about where you are. You could give us a bit of a geography lesson. I'm not good with that out of the US. And is it work that places you out of our country, or is it your country you're at now? Just curious or noisy, maybe. Bust just like to know about my friends here.
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby KathyD » July 24th, 2017, 1:08 pm

I'm back again after a weekend at the beach. We had a fabulous time. OK ladies - time to get to those Frannie dresses!!! (said in my most "motherly" voice - LOL!). I want to see what they are looking like!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby nonie » July 24th, 2017, 2:22 pm

I will get mine done this week, the sleeves look pretty good, not excellent but pretty good. Now, do I put on a pocket? Do I trust myself?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Previous

Return to On Topic Talk