Sewing and quilting with our daughter!

Learning and sharing the art of quilt making

Sewing and quilting with our daughter!

Postby KarenVA » January 15th, 2018, 2:35 pm

Our newly pregnant daughter recently came to visit for a week. We've always wanted to sew together--and this trip we made it happen!! We spent HOURS having fun at the quilt store--and she picked some pretty fabric to make four mug rugs. She was intimidated by the thought of doing binding, but she wants to quilt!! So, I thought mug rugs would be a perfect way to practice all parts of quilting. We Best Pressed, and rotary cut, and 505 sprayed. Then she got to use my Bernina 830 (she sews on a Bernina 220 Activa)--and she fell in love with my machine!! We had so much fun--and she was surprised by how easy it is to do binding!!! LOL She finished one mug rug the night before she had to fly back home--but she is all set to finish the other three on her own. And, she has plans to make a baby quilt for the new baby due in May.
Attachments
01 Teresa and her mug rug - Copy.JPG
01 Teresa and her mug rug - Copy.JPG (186.26 KiB) Viewed 146 times
KarenVA
"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa
KarenVA

Re: Sewing and quilting with our daughter!

Postby Rosieq » January 15th, 2018, 6:52 pm

Your daughter is so pretty! What a treat to get to sew with her for even a bit! Love her fabric for the mugrug.
Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby angelalee511 » January 16th, 2018, 11:04 am

Yay! How exciting that you can pass on your skills to her and that you had some fun mother - daughter time together.
angelalee511

Postby nonie » January 16th, 2018, 12:15 pm

A mom's dream come true. I wish my girls were interested in sewing, I have even given them sewing machine, hoping curiosity would lead them to investigate those strange machines. So far not much luck.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby ShirleyC » January 16th, 2018, 4:45 pm

I'm so glad you had some time to sew together. I love making mug rugs.
ShirleyC

Postby nana judy » January 16th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Your dtr is very pretty. Nonie is right that is every sewing mom's dream ,I think . At least it would be mine. The mug rug looks great.
Judy
nana judy

Postby KathyD » January 17th, 2018, 5:14 am

How fun!!! So glad that you've instilled the fun and creativity of sewing in her!!!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby KarenVA » January 17th, 2018, 7:24 am

Thank you all for such kind remarks!!!

When Teresa was six years old, she wanted to learn how to sew for her dolls. She learned how to pick a pattern and fabric, cut out the pattern pieces, follow pattern instructions, and sew by hand. She did a good job--and her dolls were well-dressed! LOL Then, she used my Singer that Mom and Dad gave me for high school graduation--it only goes forward and backward, no fancy stitches. She got busy with other interests in high school (playing the flute and singing) and sewing fell by the wayside. :( Fast forward to her graduate school days and the sewing bug bit again. That's when we gave her a Bernina 220 Activa to celebrate her Master's Degree (she went on to earn her PhD in cognitive psych). She is an amazing bag maker!! And, her knit shawls are so intricate!! Now, she'd like to add quilting to her skills. Like all of you, I'm so happy that she is the next generation of sewists/quilters!! I would hate to have this creative skill die out!! I'm hoping our little grands will pick up the sewing bug, too!
KarenVA
"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa
KarenVA

Postby Karens Krafts » January 17th, 2018, 4:09 pm

I am just absolutely green with envy. Like others, I’ve given both of my girls sewing machines. One has done a bit of sewing, the other only tried it once. At least there is a machine at each of the houses when I visit should I want or need to do some sewing.
Do you think she might join our forum here? It would be nice to have a new young member and follow her progress with her quilt. We’ll at least be waiting for you to tell us about it.
Karen (the other one)
Karens Krafts

Postby SuperPsyc » January 19th, 2018, 7:56 am

Well shucks! Mom told me about these super nice comments, so I had to check them out for myself! :) Thanks for all of your kind words!! :D

I’m just lucky to have such a swell mom to teach me so many things!!! I’m not allowed to buy fabric for our diaper bags that I’m making until I finish my other mug rugs!!!! Maybe I can sneak some sewing in today!
SuperPsyc
New Poster
New Poster

Postby ShirleyC » January 20th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Please come back and show us what you make!
ShirleyC

Return to Quilting