Chicken/leftover Tukey Pot Pie

Let's get cooking. You can't sew on an empty tummy
KarenVA

Chicken/leftover Tukey Pot Pie

Post by KarenVA »

We love this recipe!! We first had it in Colonial Williamsburg at the Kings Arms Tavern in the 1970s!! It was so good, that we bought the cookbook!!

Chicken Pot Pie

Rotisserie Chicken taken off the bone and cut up
Carrots--about two cups
Potatoes--four large cut into large chunks
Peas--about two cups
Onions--two large ones diced
Season with garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, salt, and chives (I like to use McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning and McCormick's Perfect Pinch Herb and Garlic Seasoning)

Pioneer Brand Country Gravy Mix (buy several).

Wash and dice/slice veggies and put in large stock pot. Add just enough Swanson's low sodium chicken broth to cover the veggies (4-6 cups). Bring to a boil, cover and simmer till tender. Keep the veggies in the broth after cooking. Add country gravy mix--enough to thicken.

Cover filled casserole dish with pie crust--make a few half-circle slices in the crust as vent holes when it's baked.

Bake at 350 about 35-40 minutes (until crust is golden and the filling is bubbling).

Pie Crust (Make your own OR buy refrigerated pre-made dough)

3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup shortening
ice water

Mix dry ingredients together
Blend in shortening with a fork until mixture in "pebbly".
Moisten pastry with enough ice water to hold dough together--do not over-mix.
Roll out on floured surface.

Dumpling alternative to pie crust

2 cups flour
4 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup milk

Mix dry ingredients. Work in butter and milk--do not over-mix. Drop by spoonfuls into boiling soup/filling. Simmer 10 minutes, covered.
Hugs, Karen
Luzenia

Re: Chicken/leftover Tukey Pot Pie

Post by Luzenia »

Karen, I cheat and use frozen veggies for the peas and carrots and for the potatoes and onions I use frozen Potatoes O'Brien. Otherwise this is basically the same as the pot pie I make.

Luzenia