Dressing/ or stuffing

Let's get cooking. You can't sew on an empty tummy
nonie

Dressing/ or stuffing

Post by nonie »

Not sure your term if you call it dressing or stuffing-- but could you share your favorite recipe for making it?

Do you have a favorite cranberry recipe-- to share?
NancyFigur

Re: Dressing/ or stuffing

Post by NancyFigur »

I buy the Pepperidge Farms bags - I get some that is crumbly and some that is the cube type. I might even add a bag of Arnold. Mixing the varieties is key. I use chicken broth instead of water and I add chopped celery, salt and pepper and salted butter. Once it is done I drizzle it with gravy and cook it in the oven till it gets a little crispy on the top. I make four of the aluminum catering trays because my people love stuffing and need to go home with a big container of it.

For the gluten free stuff I buy two different brands - whatever my store has and follow the same recipe as above. For this one I use corn starch to make the gravy to go into it instead of flour that I use for the regular stuffing.
ShirleyC

Post by ShirleyC »

Way down here in the real South it's cornbread dressing! :lol: I'll tell you how Clay makes it which is similar to what his mom did, but he changed it a little. If y'all remember, he got asked to make dressing at church 3 times one year! When we had our Thanksgiving meal the Sunday before Thanksgiving at church, he'd make a big pan, and it would pretty much be gone!

We cook a hen in the oven until tender. In that pot, he adds onions, celery, and a stick of Parkay. When done, we take the meat out. He does not put the meat in the dressing because it makes the dressing dry. That he is insistent on not doing.

He bakes 6-8 packages of yellow cornbread mix in a huge oval pot his mom had - less if it's for less people. After he takes that out, he crumbles it up in the pot, adds the broth, onions, and celery, about 8-10 eggs, and another stick of Parkay. (We do think the Parkay is what adds so much flavor. He adds salt to taste and lots of pepper. If we need more broth, we add some bought chicken broth unless we have frozen some before hand. (For us and the kids, he will use 4-6 packages of cornbread mix. They always like to take some home.)

It's usually pretty jiggly when he puts it in the oven. He covers it for a while, and near the end, he takes the cover off. It might take 1 1/2 to 2 hours for it to bake. I think at 350. You just need to check it to see if it's getting firm.

We all just love it!
Last edited by ShirleyC on Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shirley Clark
North Louisiana!
nonie

Post by nonie »

Shirley, I can see why people love it, that is some real dressing dedication.
Angela

Post by Angela »

I have a recipe somewhere. I use a mix of cornbread and gluten free bread (used to use regular before Celiac). I eyeball the mixture with the cornbread being the dominant one. I would say 60/40. I cook my cornbread in a skillet like little patties. I always had to make extra because the kids would steal the patties. :lol: I then add onion, celery, boiled eggs (2-3), salt and pepper, thyme, sage and rosemary and add chicken stock until it is the right consistency. Not too soupy and not too thick. I am going from memory so I know I am missing something. :lol:
Angela Lee
Pooler, GA
nonie

Post by nonie »

I am still working on some stuffing/dressing recipes. Now in the turkey? in the oven? or have any of you tried the crock pot? I saw a recipe for using the crock pot.

Do you put eggs in your stuffing/dressing?

I can't find my cranberry recipe--it used oranges and it was delicious.
ShirleyC

Post by ShirleyC »

Nonie, I'm glad you said eggs! I had left those off what I posted. Eggs also make it richer.
Shirley Clark
North Louisiana!