Zucchini Boats

Let's get cooking. You can't sew on an empty tummy
Luzenia

Zucchini Boats

Post by Luzenia »

Choose the largest diameter zucchini you can so you have good size shells to stuff. I use 1 zucchini per person which gives 2 boats per meal. For Jamie, Jim and myself I used 5 zucchini because Jamie and I will eat 1-1/2 boats for supper and have 1-1/2 for lunch the next day. Jim will have 2 boat for supper and 2 to take for his lunch the next day with a salad.
pre-heat oven to 375.
1-1/2 lb ground beef or ground turkey
1-1/2 cup mirapoix (chopped onion, bell pepper, celery)Picksweet seasoning blend in the frozen food section is my cheat so I don't have to chop everything up.
salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and a little dried basil to taste
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese or your cheese of choice. More if you prefer more cheese.
Wash zucchini, remove stem and very carefully cut in half lengthwise making sure the boat will sit on a sheet pan without support with cut side facing up. Using your choice of spoon remove the flesh leaving a thin shell. Place the flesh in a large bowl and set aside . When you have removed all of the flesh cook the flesh in the microwave on high for 3 minutes, stir and cook for additional 3 minutes then drain all of the water out of the flesh. Blanch the boats in the microwave no more than 3 boats at a time for 1 minute on high, turn and blanch for another minute.

Saute meat in a skillet until no longer pink, add mirapoix, and seasoning add the reserved, cooked zucchini flesh and mix well add 3/4 cup of the cheese reserving 1/4 c. for topping. Stuff shells with meat mixture place on sheet pan and top with reserved cheese. Add about 1/2 cup water to the sheet pan to make steam . Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with salad and garlic toast.
ShirleyC

Re: Zucchini Boats

Post by ShirleyC »

Thanks for sharing!
Shirley Clark
North Louisiana!
Luzenia

Re: Zucchini Boats

Post by Luzenia »

To the top for Nancy.

Luzenia