Needle size

Machine Embroidery

Moderator: ShirleyC

nonie

Needle size

Post by nonie »

What size needle do you prefer to use when doing applique? The threads seem to get pretty thick in some areas.
KarenVA

Re: Needle size

Post by KarenVA »

I use a 14/90 topstitch needle.
Hugs, Karen
ShirleyC

Post by ShirleyC »

I use a 75/11 embroidery needle. Always have.
Shirley Clark
North Louisiana!
Linda in Iowa

Post by Linda in Iowa »

That is almost a trick question… I am not in anyway an applique person with many miles.

I have done a couple flannel or homespun quilts with an applique with a 14/90. I used a blanket stitch with 12 wt thread. The quilt I have in process (and has been for many years) Is made with Kaffe Fassett fabric and Kim McLean Lollipop Quilt pattern. I am using 90 wt silk thread with a 70/10 needle. The stitch is the built-in applique stitch on my Baby Lock; it is a very fine, almost invisible stitch. PS…I had a very difficult time finding the 90 wt silk. I looked and looked all summer. Finally, I found multiple colors in Fullerton, Nebraska, a very small town with a delightful little quilt shop.

Oops….now if you are talking machine embroidery applique…I use my usual embroidery needle and thread. I have never thought about changing thread for the applique stitching. Do you?
ShirleyC

Post by ShirleyC »

Linda, I was referring to machine embroidery, but when I’ve done appliqué using the sewing machine, I still used the 75/11 embroidery machine needle and 40 wt embroidery thread.
Shirley Clark
North Louisiana!
nonie

Post by nonie »

Yes Linda, I find embroidery machine and appliqué by hand plus appliqué by sewing machine to so different, you are almost not even talking of the same thing.

With the machine embroidery it can become so thick, I was wondering what needles might be recommended.
ShirleyC

Post by ShirleyC »

Nonie, the majority of the appliqués I’ve done were on knit shirts, and I don’t use a bigger needle because it would leave holes in the shirt. I’ve tried the stretch needles that some say to use on knits, but I didn’t see any difference. JMO
Shirley Clark
North Louisiana!
Angela

Post by Angela »

Nonie, is it just one design that becomes thick or all of them? Are you adjusting the design size?
Angela Lee
Pooler, GA
emilyb

Post by emilyb »

When I first saw Nonie's question, my first thoughts went to thread size rather than needle size. I have made several of McKenna Ryan's quilts and have machine appliqued all of the pieces - and that is a lot of pieces!! I pick a needle size appropriate for the thread I am using which does vary. IMHO, I am not certain changing the needle size will make much difference in the density of the thread. My curiosity has been piqued, however, and I plan on tyring some samples next time I am at my machine.

Del
KarenVA

Post by KarenVA »

I like when the thread spool says which needle size they recommend. I switched to the 14/90 topstitch needle on the advice of Superior Threads. That needle has a deeper groove on the shank that protects the thread as it goes through dense embroidery areas.
Hugs, Karen